Friday, March 17, 2017

Boro Bag Friday

I've been fascinated by French General's woad dying and more recently her Boro bag workshop. 
What's Boro? Well, I'm glad you asked!

Japan's mended and patched textiles are referred to as boro, or ragged, both in Japan and abroad.

Boro t
extiles are usually sewn from nineteenth and early twentieth century rags and patches of indigo dyed cotton.  The diversity of patches on any given piece is a veritable encyclopedia of hand loomed cotton indigo from old Japan. In most cases, the beautiful arrangement of patches and mending stitches is borne of necessity and happenstance, and was not planned by the maker.


 I saw Kaari was putting together kits so I bought one for me and my daughter Rene to do together. It comes with the linen bag, a piece of foundation fabric and batting (you sew the indigo onto the foundation before adding it to the bag)

The kit comes with absolutely everything you need! I can't wait to get started.

Lots of signs of spring in central Oregon this week!

Sign up for the Little Quilt Swap and read all the details HERE. Don't delay! The deadline is just a couple of days away!

Enjoy your weekend, friends.


15 comments:

  1. Well, that looks like fun! We had a lecture on the Boro technique a few years ago. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been wanting to try my hand at boro or sashiko- I love those blues. Fun project

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I took a Boro Bag class with Kaari last autumn. I really need to pull it out and finish it up :) So glad that this post reminded me!
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did an image search for boro bag and was able to see a few. How very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love indigo blues! Have fun playing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried indigo dying last summer. It was a blast! I can't wait to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting project. The fabrics are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see what you two create. I've never heard of this before. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori que ganas de ver tu bolsa
    ¡¡¡boro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks interesting! Bags are always useful. I'm going to need more bags, as our town council just banned the plastic bags from stores. I already use large canvas bags for grocery shopping, but I'm going start keeping some smaller cloth bags in the car for those smaller purchases. I can't wait to see how the boro bags turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool project! I love that the bag is linen, not canvas..and that evrything is included. I'll have to put this on my ''wish list''. [Did you and your daughter each get a bag or you re going to share? Be sure to show us.]
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks very interesting! I'd never heard of boro bags before. Will be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, i love Boro, ever since i saw a demo of it last year!! In fact i love the whole 'make do and mend' philosophy!! I'm working on a little Boro project too :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of this either. Interesting and great fabrics. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!